Wednesday, 17 October 2012

A funny thing happened to me today


A funny thing happened to me today
in brierfield

after sorting out and saving books from a pulping
















I went out into the streets of brierfield
equipped with stool, umbrella, sketch book, crayons, camera, flask,

 























and tasks…

wonder at will and go where the mood takes me
draw
talk to people
take photos
do a rubbing
collect a man made object
collect a natural thing
buy something for under £2.00

i wondered out of the library
crossed the road
and was taken by the bread cutting machine and cakes in Oddies (bakery) window
so
i pulled out my chair and sketch book and began to draw
from the street
looking in
within second the shop assistant came out
What are you doing?!!
            Drawing
I don't think that's legal 
            Of course it is – it's not against the law to draw
Well, it might not be but you don’t have permission and I'm sure it's against oddies policies
            Is it? Perhaps you should call them and ask.
I will!
and in she went
i sat and finished my drawing – she didn't come back out.














i had wanted to spend my £2.00 in there, but decided against it. besides, two quids worth of cake can't be healthy

i carried on wondering  
bitter cold wind making drawing difficult

before too long i was outside brierfield mill entrance
my lingering and looking at the grand empty building 
and playing with the turnstile 
made the guard dog bark
and next thing – a man comes out to ask what i was up to
i told him – i'm out sketching brierfield and i was going to do a drawing of the mill
he seemed quite taken by this and started telling me about the mill and PEARL’S (£20 million) plans to redevelop it
we chatted for quite some time about his 30 years working in the mill as an engineer, about the mill’s history, and it’s architecture
on my way back to the library
i had one last task to complete
i stopped at a corner shop and bought some cotton buds for 69p 
the then engineer, now security guard, had told me that when he worked at the mill it was manufacturing all things cotton wool…

 

1 comment:

  1. hey, well done Kerry, tis good to be out and about eh.
    the blog is looking great.
    atb 'Texas Will'.
    I really connected with back home this time, what with skype, a cell phone and being able to checkout the blog from this new artists hub cafe at PRH block (Dosha).

    ReplyDelete